Be a Rebel!

Hey ppl...yep i know its been a while since I last posted something significant...so let me attempt something :)

Last evening was great...barring the cold that I caught in the night walking around in the terrace of my flat...yep I was nuts to walk around in the cold for about half an hour doing practically nothing..but hey...we are talking about Shanim here...let me get back to what I was trying to bring out here..."Rang De Basanthi" happened yesterday...roughly translated as "Give me color Basanthi"....if I've made a bunch of heads spin in confusion by what I just said its a movie guys and a really good one at that! Alright so I'm gonna give you an idea of what the movie is...India has a wonderful history, a history that most of us are proud of, on how we managed to get the British colonists out of our nation after a 200 years struggle....and what worked was non-violence. Our freedom fighters did a great job by sacrificing everything they had just to give us the world's largest multi party democracy.....but what we are with right now is not a democracy, but more of a democrazy...

The movie brings out the patriot in us, the guy who sitting behind most of our heads wondering why we are doing nutty things and screwing up our nation instead of actually doing something to make it the best in the world. And we needed a bunch of kids to come out into a revolution and kill a minister in the movie to awaken us. But guys...seriously, is that the solution? Killing a bunch of politicians? Yeah...all you end up with is a name that you are a terrorist and a traitor to the nation.

True we are in a country of free speech and a lot of things along with that, but free speech just causes more confusion to an already confused nation. We have corruption out here that reaches all the way from the roadside beggar to the journalists who bring us most of the news. Wouldn't want to speak too much about our journalists, they seem to be running out of topics to talk about that they've actually come up with some of the most hilarious reasoning for issues that pertain our lives here (with reference to some guys working off TOI). Hey I ain't saying the whole country is a mess, but we have our share....and we have our share of greatness....thank you NDTV for bringing the best out of journalism in india.

There have been a billion and one comments about me complaining of everything under the sun. Why do I do that you ask? Well I'm frustrated. Our country doesn't deserve the treatment we give it. Our country would probably be the only country in the world who's so obsessed with everything and anything that comes with a sign that says "foreign". In a country like Britain, they shy away from all products that are not "British"...some of which aren't half as good as the foreign counterparts...I know of many restaurants out here in India that actually charge you tenfolds for something that has imported written on it. What's with us?

Now this would get me a free visa into the world of Shiv Sena and the million others who talk about patriotism and swadeshi blah blah. Hey I don't believe in that. We need all the foreign influence we can get in our country, 'coz that's the best way to learn and work on our own. As an example, look at the car industry...if it wasn't for competition from the likes of Toyota and Honda, we wouldn't have seen a Mahindra Scorpio....or for that matter a Bajaj Pulsar (one of the best bike in india purely designed in India...atleast I was told that). What we guys lack is the drive to do anything in the country we call our own.

Where have we made the mistake? Blame the govt...they don't do anything for us....i beg to differ, they've given us education, good (atleast some) roads, freedom to do anything we want...even get to the parliament and scream out our views or spit on the roads and get away with it. If there is any1 to blame it would be us, our education and everything else.

We have been told, from the moment our minds can recognise an apple from an orange, that the world in india can be taken for granted. And our minds are moulded to mug up anything and everything that has the word 'Text' on its title. We haven't really given the oppurtunity or the freedom to think for ourselves. I remember when I was a kid, I had written an answer for an exam on my own with the end result more or less the same as what was written in my classwork note book (yep we had a bunch of questions which were pre determined as important by our gurujis in school) and I was scored low for the same. When I had asked for a feedback from my teacher on the same, the response was that it wasn't the same answer as that in the classwork book.....come on!!!!! Thankfully my lecturers and teachers in the later years were the kind who encouraged me to think and bring on my own thoughts in the books rather than a bunch of nonsense in our texts...

So where have we lost it? We have lost our imagination. Even the IT industry that our country is so proud of is doing more or less the same. The prime of our imagination is when we have just joined a company fresh from college....when management jargon hasn't taken over our minds and what are the jobs we are alloted? I'm sure most of you would agree when I say its either documentation or some unworthy jobs....thankfully I haven't yet been put into a project so I can't really say where I'm headed. Everyone in our country is here to jeopardize our imagination and they are pretty much succeeding in the same.

Oh well...I may just never end with my cribbing....but someday I hope...I too would be able to leave a mark on my nation and the world as many in our country have.......someone like a Bose maybe....or uhm....Sabeer Bhatia? Oh well...life's just begun...I'll get there....

Peace out ppl

5 Response to "Be a Rebel!"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    Wed Feb 01, 05:14:00 PM

    if i had been in the habbit of reading such long stuff,, i wud have been somewhr else.. didn go beyond the first lines of all para,, but the point all succinct..

    gotta kill the guy who invented blogs..(jus kidding)

    then.. ever heard "brevity is the soul of wit"

    then, agree abu dreams though,,
    then also to live your dreams..

  2. Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! says:
    Sat Feb 04, 04:59:00 PM

    Really good

  3. Anonymous Says:
    Thu Feb 09, 11:31:00 PM

    pretty neat blog u have there mate.
    im in bangalore too.
    btw ive approved ur orkut request :))
    So watcha doing in bangalore..me working in dell...
    bye

  4. Sameera says:
    Tue Mar 28, 02:16:00 PM

    hmm what do i say,..again no idea

    i dont think much about things that wont change overnight..

    thats probably not even nice,but whatever..

    as for indians and obsession with any shit thats phoren...god knows when it will end and all

    the west will ape the east and the east will ape the west
    both of them will end up screwing everything they already had

    indians are kinda slavish..i dont know why..we like to bow..maybe its the culture..maybe its the obsession with color

    when u go abroad..no one stares at u

    some foreigner in india..no such luck..ogling it is for him/her

    keep bloggin dude
    i finally commented on this post after watching that fab movie.

  5. cloud9ine says:
    Fri Mar 31, 09:26:00 PM

    lots of good stuff... but a bit iffy..

    on the foreign stuff... i'd buy anything made in india provided it'd give me the same quality @ the same price.. but i'm not ready to pay a premium for something just coz they made it here. Call me selfish but it's my money.. Same reason why there's hardly any manufacturing in US now, and china does it for them..

    And then, Scorpio is real iffy with cheap plastic and a dead engine for an S/M UV. Go with Tata for developing some of the best machines on home ground - I can say this coz my next door neighbour's a mallu who worked at TELCO R&D at Pune.

    and come on, man, leave alone the concept, RDB was a totally crappy movie. There's unjustified pessimism and idiotic logic and on top of all bad moviemaking