Applying Thought

As I was browsing the net, came across an article on economictimes.com that got my interest. It said "Wipro plans European acquisitions". Since it was about our company, thought have taking a good look at it. I'm glad I did read it.

The following statements caught my eye:

"Wipro can choose from 280,000 engineering graduates every year, with another 200,000 college diploma-holders who are easily trainable. In the United States annually there are just 50,000 engineering graduates. In fact colleges produce more sports therapists than engineers," Wipro's chairman said. Education, Premji said, is the fuel that drove India's growth. But he knows that while there has been investment in higher studies, there has not been the same commitment to primary education. The result is that a third of the population over the age of 15 has no schooling, the report observed. So the Azim Premji Foundation, a not-for-profit organization which spends 5 million dollars a year, focuses on improving India's elementary education.


Wouldn't all of you, my future colleagues, agree that our Company Chairman deserves more than just a mere applause for such a gesture! Education in our country surely needs all the funds it can get. But does funds really materialize into educated youths? I wouldn't think so. Literate, maybe, but far from educated. India really needs to look up its educational policies once again.


I come from Kerala, which boasts to be one of the most literate states in the country. However, our state does suffer from the lack of major developments owing to the pessimism shown by people in the state. It isn't a wonder that Keralites are second only to Bihar in terms of emigrants. Almost all major development programs are looked into with skeptism, too much if you ask me. Who do we end up blaming? Our Government. Personally, I think its our educational system that is to blame. Our schools have syllabi that force us to sit in the corner of our room and read through big fat books and produce essays ten pages long for our exams without any understanding whatsoever. And what more? Taking any course besides Engineering/Medicine is considered a shame. Aren't there a million other professions in this world? If it wasn't for the commerce stream, we wouldn't have Chartered Accountants or Businessman. Wait, we don't! I guess its the same all over India,
and besides funding primary and secondary education, I believe we could do a lot more.


Ironically I am studying for engineering as well, but I did so out of interest and not of compulsion or that a certain fortune teller told me that there would be a boom for the IT industry in 2005 :)


Kudos to Azim Premji and Wipro. Let's Apply Thought not just on our computers, but for humanity!

1 Response to "Applying Thought"

  1. Sameera says:
    Thu Sep 01, 01:22:00 AM

    hey shaan ......thanks to this article u nd me r friends !!!! i hope u rem..neways i thot id comment since uve been particular abt it..u write well but longer than humanity can take... so my advice is to cut it short...a lil bit....nd then all of us will b happy .....will read more of this ltr on tomo @work lol!!!
    take care
    ciao
    sameera.